Friday, August 26, 2011

What Does it Mean to Say "Jesus Saves"?

     Jesus is God come to earth, a true human being. God became a human being in the person of Jesus in order to save us. (1John 4:2)  
     Why do we need to be saved?  The bible says that every human being who ever was born has sinned, Romans 3:23. To sin is to do something, in thought, word, or deed, that contradicts God's perfect character.  Because of our sin, we all deserve punishment from God, John 3:18. The penalty for sin is death.   God is just, so He cannot allow sin to go unpunished.  Since God is infinite and eternal, and since all sin is against God , only an infinite and eternal punishment is sufficient.  Eternal death is the only just punishment.  That's why we need to be saved.
      Because we have sinned against an infinite God, an infinite person must pay for our sin.  Jesus saves by dying in our place.  In the person of Jesus Christ, God sacrificed Himself on our behalf, paying the infinite and eternal penalty only He could pay, 2 Corinthians 5:21.  Because He is infinitely merciful, Jesus took the punishment we deserve in order to save us from eternal death.  Because of His great love for us, Jesus laid down His life, John 15:13, paying the penalty that we had earned but could not pay.  Jesus was then resurrected proving His death was sufficient to pay the penalty for our sin 1 Corinthians 15.
      Jesus saves all who will receive His gift of salvation.  Jesus saves all those who fully trust in His sacrifice alone as the payment for sin, John 3:16.  Jesus sacrifice was all that is needed to pay for the sins of humanity, however, each one must personally receive His precious gift.  John 1:12
      If you now understand what it means that Jesus saves, and you want to trust in Him as your Savior, you can pray this prayer;    Father, I know I am a sinner and I know that because of my sin I deserve to be eternally separated from you.  Even though I do not deserve it, thank you for loving me and providing the sacrifice for my sin through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.  I believe that Jesus died for my sin and I trust in Him alone to save me. I want Jesus to be my Savior and my Lord. From now on help me to live my life for you instead of for myself.  Thank you for saving me.  Amen
   


No comments:

Post a Comment